Thursday, October 13, 2005

Becoming official and thoughts on driving, weight issues, and roommates






As of 2pm today I took an oath to uphold the U.S. constitution and officially swore my life away to Peace Corps. No longer am I a "trainee," I am now an official "volunteer." Currently, I am lying in my bed exhausted (it's 10pm and I got up at 3:45am). With the exception of spending a few hours in Pretoria for the ceremony, I have been in a vehicle for the entirety of that time. Nevertheless, I have already gotten my desk organized and pictures on my walls. It's been a long two months living out of a suit case. I'm ready to have a home. I'm going to have to do a lot of shopping to get everything that I need (not that I won't be enjoying doing that)

Some highlights of the day:

The drive:

I am deathly afraid of cars. I think it stems from a bad accident in my childhood that left me with 50 stitches in the side of my face and a scary plastic surgeon who wanted to "fix" my scars by doing the equivalent of "sandpapering them down." Now I have been in other accidents" Tracy rear ending a stopped vehicle on the freeway, that time I accidentally backed into the mail box (I swear it came out of nowhere). I have been in the car with scary drivers: just get in the car when my sister is driving. But never, have I ever, been as scared as I was in the car today. The man driving us home was not only driving twice the speed limit in the pitch black, he was also on his cell phone, and playing chicken with semis. Eventually, after I gently explained to him that he was scaring me to death (Ga ke rate mootledi- I don't like the driver) he said the following: "We're at heaven's window when I drive like this"
Me: No we've got one foot throught the gate
Him: If I don't drive this way I'll fall asleep.
Me: you should open the window, play music, and get a cup of coffee.
Him: Are you married?


My Principal: Setting: I haven't seen this woman in a month. She comes to me and gives me a big hug and says the following:
Hello Makobo you've gained weight
(Now I realize that this is a compliment in her culture and the other volunteers were saying that she was only saying it to be nice- regardless it's time to become a fasting marathon runner)

That's Life...


Later that night: The story "Where the Wild Things Are" definitely has relevance to my life. There is something alive living in my room. I think I knew this when I did my original site visit. I was aware of the bags rustling as a result of some critter though I believe I dismissed this knowledge as a figment of my imagination allowing my mind to believe that what was happening was a vivid dream brought upon by the anti-malaria medication I'm consuming. Last night confirmed otherwise. Denial must be over ridden by the knowledge that I will have to deal with my unwelcome roommate.
Hypotheticals:
1. There is a mouse that will soon be losing its life.
2. There is a monkey that I will not only learn to coexist with but in fact train to be my butler.
3. It's the ghost of the cockroach that at one time resided in my hair.
4. It's my former computer printer (I assume someone will get that reference)

The Next Morning: Mapula Rocks!!!! She made me breakfast in bed.

Later the next morning: Apparently all small creatures have a vindetta against me. Either that or someone really never wants me to bathe again. I haven't decided what's worse: cockroach in the hair or scorpion in the wash cloth. I don't think I've ever jumped on a bug (is a scorpion a bug?) as many times or with as much force as I took that scorpion out with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home