Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Site Trip

Mapula and Bogobe
Sello and Marvin
Mapula and Marvin
Mapula and Bananas
Mom
Khutso
Oupa and Marvin
Dad

Side note: I have been informed that this journal is being read by many. Therefore, if you choose to comment keep it very appropriate.

This is going to information based:

I have now found out about my permanent location. I don't meet my host family until tomorrow but nevertheless I'm thrilled to be involved in the process of getting facts about my life for the next two years.

Village: Ga-Raswewana (if you find it on a map you've done better thant me)

Nearest area that you should find on a map: Modjaji, This village as well as my village is lead by the rain queen. She leads a festival every year to bring, what else, the rains. Most villages are lead by a man, but this one is a woman. For anyone who knows me you will understand that I find this thrilling. Unfortunately, the current one died in June (three have died since 2001) and a new one won't be crowned for a year, but I still get to meet her court on Tuesday. In addition, my new African name is Makobo which is the former rain queen's name.

Host Family: Surname: Monyela, I don't know much only what I've been told: there is a mom who is a housewife and four children: 3 boys and a girl. The oldest boy is 23. The girl is in grade 12. There's a boy who is 11 or 12 and there's a boy who is 7 (similar structure to my own family which is wonderful)

The Schools:

Letseku: Students: 520 R-7 (grade R is kindergarten) preschool students: 20 teachers: 14 classrooms:8

Matshwi: Students: 888 R-7 teachers: 22 classrooms:16

Leakhale: Students: 630 R-7 Preschool students: 50 Teachers: 20 Classrooms: 17

Possible projects we've discussed: building classrooms, working with teachers on math and science teaching, building libraries, teaching about computers, froming a girls soccer program

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home