Friday, September 02, 2005

Moletsi 2

Quick update because there are a lot of us trying to use the internet. This is going to be my letter to everyone this time since it gets to a wider range:

So the first person from our group went back home. There are only 87 of us now. She got sick and had to go to the hospital and decided from there that this just wasn't the right choice for her. It hit us all pretty hard. We all joke around about making football pools about who will leave first but when it happens you realize how vulnerable you are. Life is hard here. The food is different, the bathrooms different, the people different, the gender roles different, the safety issues different. Two years is a ridiculously daunting time period to all of us right now. Time moves slowly here and not a lot happens. In addition, we aren't doing any projects right now so we feel more of a burden than anything. The goal for now is to get through this day, this moment.

Yesterday I went to my first school visit. It was great to actually be inside a classroom. I got to teach the kids about quadrilaterals. It took some improvising to remember exactly what a rhombus was but they were good and eager to participate. I'm going back on September 19th and I'm going to co-teach two lessons with another volunteer: one on area and perimeter and one on solids, liquids, and gases (thank god for unit planning) in grade 7.

I've decided I will never complain about laundromats again. No matter how expensive or inconvenient they are it is way more back breaking and inconvenient to do it in a tin basin. Unfortunately I'm not very smart and did my darks first. My whites will never be the same again.

On Monday we're leaving Moletsi for a workshop as well as a visit to our permanent site. It's scary because what we see next week will be where we are for the next two years. Perhaps even scarier is the fact that they drop us off and we have to find our way back to Moletsi, by taxi. It's definitely time that I lose my lack of sense of direction.

I'm dying to hear more information. We get bits of information about the hurricane and it sounds horrendous. We got newsweeks yesterday so I caught up a little on what was happening in Gaza (Josh you should be sending me stuff on this). I got a cell phone today. My family will have the number if anyone is interested. Keep me posted!!

Cheers :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cait,
Glad to hear you are doing well. I Miss you!! - Steph XOXOXO

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

read this blog and couldn't stop laughing, @Stephanie pap is very nice. I believe Cait tried cooking it for you, but it wont be the same. death by "try the bucket thing", I spent 5yrs at a boarding school using a bucket to bath its the most memorable times of my life. Rural South Africa is jst fun and relaxed, well the towns is just as America or Europe (been to both myself)

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home