Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Moving on...

Before I start this a few quick notes:

*I have incredible and amazing friends. Lisa, Becca, Court, Stephanie, and Baker sent me the best package ever. I shut myself in my room the other day and did yoga and ate cheese crackers and read a lot of hilarious letters. I want to thank them so much especially for celebrating my birthday by going out for Mexican food (Mexican food how I miss thee)

*No I have not cut off all my hair yet. As close as I get to doing it the George Washington era of my hair keeps coming into my head. I am thinking about going for braids. I'll keep you updated.

So yesterday I went to Pretoria for the first time. Pretoria in October is amazing. It's covered with Jackarand trees so the entire city is purple. You can't go anywhere without seeing purple, purple, purple.
Tomorrow I swear in (this is a big accomplishment as I initially failed my language test because they tested me in the wrong language by accident) and will be an official Peace Corp Volunteer. For you all this means that I'll still be in South Africa. For me this means I will be leaving all the other Americans and for the next three months I will be on travel restriction at my site. That means I can't go anywhere: not for Halloween, not for Thanksgiving, not for Christmas, not for New Year's, not even for summer break which is in a few weeks. This is the time that I'm going to need the most support. Send me anything to make me laugh, any news, anything to do in general (books, crossword puzzles, anything and everything). I will be changing addresses this weekend so be aware of that and wait to send anything until I post my new one otherwise I may have to wait months to get anything. I realize that I'm continuously asking for more stuff but as a disclaimer I'm just trying to keep my spirits high and stay apart of all your lives because I miss everyone so much.
It's kind of nerve wracking to be making this step. I feel a bit overwhelmed about what to do with myself as I'm kind of making up my job as I go. I'm really hoping to start a running camp this summer (initially I was going to do soccer but until I can get donations I have to postpone), painting South African flags and World Maps in schools, and maybe doing a theatre program. I want to have something to do, to stay busy and to not get to lonely.
I have to pack up everything now and get ready for tomorrow's ceremony. I have to be ready to go at 5:30 in the morning. It's going to be a big day: trip to Pretoria, fancy ceremony, saying goodbye to my Moletsi family, and moving in with my new family (I can't wait to see Mapula again). Two years left as of tomorrow :) !!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home