Thursday, January 12, 2006

Peeping Tom

Tonight I was performing my usual routine: wash face, brush teeth, change into pajamas, etc. I happened to glance out my window and there was a face on the other side staring in. It is not often that a thousand thoughts race through my head at once but this did happen to be one of the times that exactly that happened. At the same time he saw me see him and consequently raced away. By the time I got Sello he was gone.

After it happened I talked to Omar and Tom about the situation: Isn’t your room on the family’s property? Yes, he was standing in the one foot of space between my wall and the fence that surrounds the property. Do you feel safe? Yes, he was just looking, a peeping tom, I don’t think he had any intention of entering.

The more I thought about it the more I think it was Oupa. My family agrees with me, but unlike me, they dismissed it as another one of Oupa’s misbehaviours. No one can control him and the whole situation has become ridiculous. In addition to last night’s incident, Mapula now has to lock the food she cooks for the family in another room so that Oupa does not eat everyone’s dinner. I also can’t buy refrigerated food anymore because anything I leave in the fridge he immediately consumes. It has been a long week subsisting on only peanut butter and oatmeal.

I have reached my limits of tolerance. I have been nothing but nice to Oupa. I go out of my way to do things for him. Now I just hope he does something to get arrested and hauled off to jail. He is out of control and a burden.

At first I was relieved to think that it was Oupa, who I know won’t hurt me, as opposed to some random stranger. Yet, now I feel more upset. My sense of safety and security has been completely corrupted. I feel helpless and violated: I know there will be no repercussions for his actions. These horrible thoughts keep running through my head: how many times has he done this before, what has he seen, how long was he there for, etc. I had to sleep with Mapula simply to comfort myself, but all night I was plagued with antagonizing dreams of being attacked. This morning, instead of feeling refreshed and relieved, I feel more upset. I told my principal and even she wasn’t outraged. I have reached the limit of my frustration.

I am going away for the weekend, thank god, I can’t be here right now. I’m hoping I feel better on Sunday otherwise I don’t know how I’m going to cope.

1 Comments:

Blogger Luminous said...

I am also the victim of a peeping tom, i am currently pregnant and i feel very violated because i can't even go pee at night then the person is peeping through my bathroom, i know its one of the neighbors cause I've heard them what can i do about it as this has been happening for more then 4 months now. he even stands on the dustbin and peeps through my kitchen window.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home