Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Net

Last night I got ten mosquito bites: on my hands. Nothing is worse than waking up to dizzyingly distracting itchiness that you can do nothing to subtract from. Any hope for rest is futile after that. What makes it worse, after you hide your entire body under a blanket and are suffocating in your own carbon dioxide, is hearing that horrible humming of a mosquito on the other side. The sound, though quiet, is so stomach turning and high pitched that it can drive you insane. Pointlessly you swat at it knowing that, in the dark, your chances of killing it are as likely as your family building a new pit toilet; a nice dream but nothing more.

Gradually you doze, and a toe creeps out from under the blanket, and that stupid mosquito takes a nice leisurely bite meaning that in the morning you’ll be performing intricate yoga poses to scratch the dozens of bites simultaneously.

All of these compounded factors finally convinced me to put up my mosquito net which I had been trying not to do because, while I’d like to give a good reason, but mainly I’m silly, and it blocks the maps hanging on my wall which kills the aesthetics of my room. I’m such an American

In college I had this dainty white mosquito net that gracefully hung from my ceiling and elegantly accented my bed. I believe Bed, Bath, & Beyond still sells the same one. I felt so glorious, like an African princess, as I slept under that draped netting. I was really stupid.

My mosquito net now is forest green and smells like mildew. In order to hang it over my bed I had to tie a ribbon onto each corner of the netting (thank you for using ribbon when wrapping my Christmas gifts) tie the other end to a battery and attempt to “thread” it over the planks holding up my tin roof by throwing the battery through the small space between the two. After causing enough clanging for Mapula to stop cooking and to ask what I was doing I finally got it set up over my bed.

Besides being incredibly ugly and smelly, the netting is for a twin bed and I have a double. I have to lie at odd angles in order to not be attacked by the net. I guess it’ll be worth it if I get a full night’s sleep. We’ll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home