Friday, December 23, 2005

Homesickness

Sam, my little brother, called and told me he learned to ride a bike and would show me at Christmas.

"But Sam I won't be home for Christmas."
"Okay I will show you in 2007."

Consequently, I burst into tears. It's the first time I've done that since being here. I retract my previous entry and have decided it is hard to be this far from home for the holidays. I've decided I'm a lot more on edge as demonstrated by the following incident:

People around the village, random ones I've never seen or talked to before, have begun taking the initiative to approach me and say "You give me Christmas gift." Usually, I politely tell them I'm a volunteer and don't have money to buy them a gift, but I was feeling depressed and in a rotten mood today when a random man in his early 20's approached me:
"You give me Christmas gift."
"No! You already have my life and now you want more! I gave up everything to be thousands of miles from home and all of my family and friends and everything I love to help your community. Why should I give you a gift on top of that? What are you doing to help your community? Stop asking me for gifts!"

He walked away bewildered. I don't think he understood English well. I think I need a hug.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you!! I am starting to feel a little homesick as well! hang in there!! By the way, do you have internet in your house??!!

Tracy

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home