Sunday, December 25, 2005

Khutso's Laugh

Christmas is a very lonely time here so far from home, my dad is working, my mom is sick, my sister is at church, and my brothers are out causing who knows what ruckus. Highlights from the day:

My real family sent my African family Christmas gifts. My borthers generally displayed the most hilarious reactions. Oupa got his present halfway open and screamed like a girl in delight: "Quiksilver, Quiksilver!" He, as well as my other brothers and father, who are, with the exception of Oupa, all grown men, proceeded to throw off the shirts they were wearing and exchange them for their new shirts. Then like proud kids, they strutted around showing off to anyone unlucky enough to pass by at that particular moment. I have seen nothing quite so hilarious in some time.

I feel like the youngest boy who lives at my house, who is a nephew, often gets neglected and/or ignored. He is as shy as he can be, and I have just recently coaxed him to say a few words to me at a time. I generally attempt to spoil him. He was so cute with his presents: shy and blushing but so utterly thrilled. After he must have spent hours in the yard with his new soccer ball , bouncing, kicking it, and throwing it in the air in an attempt to head it while it elusively fell behind him. It was classic on so many levels. Later, I spent an extended period of time playing Connect Four with him. Each time he won he would burst into fits of giggles. He so seldomly smiles that it is an incredible and meaninful treat to hear him laugh. He was the highlight of my Christmas.

I also spent quite the painful hour sitting in my living room while my neighbors 35 year old brother tearfully confessed his love for me:
"I am a black man. You are a white woman."
I didn't really get the color analysis as associated with his love but what can you do. I see it as quite the challenge to avoid him until he goes back to wherever he normally resides. I am really sick of men being infatuated with me simply because I'm a white American. I hate having to run to my room to hide from drunk would be suitors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home