Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Bouts of Insanity

People left alone for long periods of time begin to take on a demeanor resembling craziness. As I spend more and more time in my village I get to feeling that my mind verges on the brink of insanity. I think it may be yet another piece of evidence proving I'm a Peace Corp Volunteer. It seems we have all started to go a bit stir crazy. I know the thoughts in my head verge on the odd side now:
"If I were invisible, and laid outside, would I get a tan?"
The fact that this pondering lead to a long text message session of debate with Omar worries me.

I think part of my actions and thought processes that would seem so weird in the states occur so easily here because I'm so void of social constraints. Today I started laughing out loud in a taxi because there was a man playing an accordion at the taxi stop. I did get some funny looks as I guffawed at my own joke, but I didn't really have the ability to share the joke with anyone so I decided to laugh, on my own, similar to my decision to start dancing at random intervals whenever I'm walking and hear a methodical hip hop beat or when I got to the dam to stretch. The people around here expect me to be "different" so I appease them by being so.

Tonight, as I am plagued by insomnia as a I so often am, as a result of my anti-malaria medication, I am visiting with a lizard in my room. For the last hour I have been rooting on "Herb" as he treks across my wall towards a cricket. I have big hopes that he will catch the menace and savoringly devour him. I need to get out more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home