Monday, January 23, 2006

Land Rover

I have found it amusing that the idea behind Peace Corps is to live at the level of your village in order for them to view you as an information resource and not a money supply. It is important for us to gain respect and a place in the community. I understand these values and attempt to adhere to them as much as possible. Yet, sometimes things about the life I lead interrupt my validity and stretch my credibility.

Case in point: Peace Corp staff has been to my village twice now: once for a site visit and once for a safety and security meeting. Both times they have driven up to my front door in posh Land Rovers. I have to question how exactly the village is going to react when they see my “rich friends.” Go figure, apparently the way we live is not an organization wide policy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home