Monday, January 23, 2006

Rating System

I have come up with a rating scale for the people I encounter here based on the number system 1-5 with 1 being harmless and 5 resulting in obvious terror. This creation is a result of how I react and put on a menacing, bitchy, “Don’t mess with me,” entourage as I go about my daily business. The ratings are categorized as follows:

1: Innocent, harmless, non-threatening; very small children and very old women are the prime residents of this category.

2: People who mean no harm but can occasionally verge on irritating: example my neighbors are perfectly wonderful but they also often do one of two things:
1. Comment on my appearance- usually negatively
2. Speak the same sentence to me in Sotho repeatedly apparently on the theory that come the 73rd repetition a miracle will occur and I will have mastered the language.

3: People who still are harmless but it takes all that I have not to have an outburst of annoyance and/or offense. This would include children calling from across the village “white person” in their language, anyone asking me for money/sweets/gifts etc, and the majority of giggling teenage girls.

4: This category is where I start to fear for my possessions/personal safety. Any male between the ages of 13-70 is placed in this category until they prove themselves and are likewise bumped down the rating scale.

5: Times I get really scared by people they receive this rating. Generally any male who is intoxicated, peeping in my window, making lewd sexual movements mainly consisting of thrusting motions, or trying to touch me gets put here. I don’t know if I’ve ever given a woman a rating of 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home