Saturday, April 08, 2006

Life Plans

My entire life has been planned out since I was 16: go to college, major in education, become a Peace Corp Volunteer, settle down and teach at a low income school. Thus far, every part of my plan has come to pass- but suddenly, being here has made me question what I really want. After going home, finding a school and teaching for 30 years is starting to feel very confining. I lead more of a nomadic existence to get so comfortable in a single area.

Thus, I've been reconsidering my options and frankly it terrifies me because I've never given myself options before.

So the following are my new ideas for the management of my increasingly complicated life:

-Take the GRE. Apply to grad school at Berkley, Columbia, and UCLA to get my master in education and politics or public policy.

-Take the Foreign Service Exam and work in an embassy overseas

-Become a starving traveling writer

-Knit products and bum off my parents while traveling the world (I think my mom would appreciate that scenario)

-Suck it up and be a teacher

-Train the seals at Sea World

It's all very vague right now so please feel free to comment with your opinions and/or ideas.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not qualified to comment on other suggestions but as a past hanger-on at embassy parties the overseas embassy sounds great!

-Become a starving traveling writer

Yes, you write so well and there are freebies to be had along the way, and it's sustainable. bum off you parents doing THAT!

-Knit products and bum off my parents while traveling the world (I think my mom would appreciate that scenario)

handknit? No, I turned my love of knitting into my business, and hardly knit any more. Knit for creativity, love and therapy but the pay is not sustainable without participating in either your own or others slave labor.

-Suck it up and be a teacher

Why not teach english as foreign language, teach at an international school (embassy parties too) and depending on the school generally there are servcice opportunities for low income population too.

-Train the seals at Sea World

Go for it! That's teaching, and vicarious travel via visitors, security and well, you could knit the balls to balance!

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home