Thursday, March 23, 2006

Projects & Revenge

Current Projects:

1. My principal asked me to judge her management skills as well as different things the school can improve on. I felt comfortable enough to more or less tell her my mind. This has lead to me being relatively busy as I am now individually assessing kindergarten and first graders in their math skills. I can already see we need to do a lot of work with mental math in general as well as place value and subtraction. I have enjoyed getting to see beaming faces of first graders as they get to play with manipulatives to show their knowledge of patterns, shapes, adding, etc. Plus it’s always nice to see a child here getting individualized attention that doesn’t include being hit with a stick.

2. On the note of being hit with a stick I walked in on a third grade teacher doing just that to her cowering students. I told my principal that I suggested it stop seeing as it was not helping the kids to learn and, among other things, illegal. I may have pissed off the third grade teacher which I may or may not regret, but I’m also at the point where I think it’s okay to be confrontational because frankly the schools aren’t going to improve without a little confrontation.

3. I started a writing contest for my Grade 7 Learners. The prompt: If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? Why? Their entries are due next Wednesday. I look forward to reading them.

4. I have started playing soccer regularly with the children and slowly girls are beginning to ask me if they too can play. I hope to eventually acquire enough females to start a few teams. I also am gradually introducing the concepts of balanced physical fitness: yesterday we actually warmed up and stretched before we played. The children think I’m crazy, but I would like to prevent injuries on my time. I also attempted to have them do some drills: dribbling through a slalom of rocks. This would have worked better if I had more soccer balls…and the kids weren’t so determined just to play. I wonder if I put them on a competitive team whether or not they’d be more receptive…

5. Last night as I was knitting in the family room Oupa turned on world wide wrestling. The thought slowly crept into my head and then, with only malicious intentions, I turned to him and said:

“You know that wrestling is fake right…”

Devastation followed as I continued on my point and the actuality of the fact was realized in his head. I may as well as told a young child that Santa Clause didn’t exist. Best revenge ever…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cait - I am your undying fan, you nailed ALL my RSa issue in one post! Soccer for girls -GO! Afrikaner women - HEEL IN FACE!

Non-violent confrontation for Africans GO! Here in USA we think Africans can't stop fighting but the reality is most are afraid to start because there is no 'Off' switch. Too many Africans (of every colour) think confrontation = physical violence. That people like you are doing what you do is ENORMOUSLY comforting to me.

That travel, "where you may want to go in the world" may not be related to Dad being away for money, for so long he starts another family is an inspirational start.

that you got Oupa's self centered, physical intimidation = power, nailed as fake is the sweetest, sweetest transformation of all.

I adore you! If you are ever close to n/e PA we have to visit!
Margaret

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home