Thursday, March 23, 2006

David

During my sophomore year of college I met David while working on The Vagina Monologues. David, though he will probably deny it, is infinitely wiser, more mature, and more intuitive than me. Thus, I consider him one of my greatest mentors, a reason- he jokes- that we didn’t make it as a couple. Throughout some of my greatest battles in college over issues with the Monologues, until today, when I often voice my tears and frustrations over the battles I wage here in South Africa, David has been a supportive shoulder: always knowing exactly what to say to inspire me, to bring me back to the original path I laid out for myself. His emails are often printed and posted on my wall to read over and over when my will starts to wane.

David started grad school as I started my junior year at university, and we often didn’t talk to each other for extended periods of time. Yet, each time we did manage to reconnect, it was as if he had never left and we were continuing a conversation started the day, hour, minute before. I saw him for the last time in June after not seeing for him for almost two years. We spent the entire time talking and philosophizing while walking around San Luis Obispo. It was probably one of the best days I’ve ever had. David and I have a real connection, and I really look up to him.

So today, as my mail was brought to me, I looked with childish glee and anticipation to realize I had gotten a package from him. I was not disappointed:

In it was the book: “That Takes Ovaries!: Bold Females and their Brazen Acts,” and inscribed was the following message:

Dear Cait,

I saw this play with my friend Sarah as we celebrated her 34th birthday. Throughout the show, I found my mind drifting to you and the kind of bravery, compassion, and commitment to social justice that you exhibit in the way you walk through life. I thought to myself- that Cait has some serious ovaries.

I’m sending you this book so that you can have something that really shows how you are part of a strong, dedicated global sisterhood. I am so proud of you and the efforts you direct toward feminist activism, and so are my friends who signed this book for you. They are proud of your work with V-Day and The Peace Corps as well. We are all writing in admiration and solidarity. Keep your passion.

Best,
David

The book begins with the following quotes:

“If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.”
-Katharine Hepburn

“Well-behaved women rarely make history.”
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

“If you don’t take risks, you won’t know what is possible.”
-Unknown

David knows me too well. I have realized that he is truly one of the best friends I have ever had: how else would you explain his commitment to helping me survive South Africa?

David you’re my rock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home