Thursday, February 09, 2006

Malnutrition

An interesting observation I have recently made: the children of one of my schools are generally much larger than children of my other schools. Why is this? Most of the children I encounter here are much smaller than their counterparts in the states and not only regarding their weight. I can also make this observation in view of height and general build. I was discussing this issue with Caitlin and she cited her kitten as an example.

Recently, Caitlin received a kitten that her “family” has been feeding store bought food to. Its brothers and sisters, like most of the animals in the area, are fed scraps. Her kitten is now twice the size of its brothers and sisters. This got her to thinking. In her host family her “sisters” are much larger than the other children in their grade. Initially, she thought her “sisters” must be old for their grade but now her theory is similar to the kittens: her “family” has more money thus the girls get a more balanced diet and grow properly.

The village has become a case study of the effects of malnourishment. Likewise, I’m curious to know if the families of my one school, which is only a few kilometers from my other two schools, are better off financially. It certainly seems that the food distribution on this side must be better. Yet, another idea for me to contemplate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home