Saturday, November 19, 2005

Soccer

I have not played in a soccer match since high school Then the game was one of my passions: I couldn't wait to chase down an opposing player and steal the ball away or feel the mounting anticipation before the referee twilled his whistle signaling the start of the game. Some of my most thrilling moments growing up stemmed fro the soccer field: playing a tournament in Hawaii, playing a game on the perfectly manicured lawn of the Rose Bowl Stadium. I never was a sensational player; I was simply a solid player with an adoration for the game.
College took away my ability to play competitively. Other events came up taking my mind away from the perfect corner kick and the high arc of a well executed throw in. Different passions occupied my mind and soccer slipped to the background.
Being in Africa has reawakened the subconscious desire to play. I crave being on the dirt field across from my house like I long for air conditioning while I fall asleep in a pool of my own sweat. My feet twitch with the necessity to stand in front of the goal and execute the perfect shot.
Yesterday I got out my silver soccer ball that I purchased instead of getting a pillow case for my pillow or hangers for my wardrobe. I gently convinced Mapula to come to the field with me, appealing to her excessively competitive nature and promises that I would play goaley as she practiced shooting. Within ten minutes of this initial arrangement and entourage of twenty young boys had joined our game through the draw of a new soccer ball and an opportunity to see the "white girl" try to play a game that they have ingrained in their heads that no female can play. Though they were less than half my age, they each possessed more skill than I could ever hope to acquire: I suppose that growing up with such an intense passion for a game that you will used a plastic bag filled with garbage as your ball only leads to this possible scenario.
As I attempted to play goaley: not a very good one as I was not particularly willing to make dives onto the rock strewn ground, a new desire in me was awakened: I wanted to coach these children. Though their skill was better than mine, they didn't know how to unite as a team. These children could be stars but first they need to be reintroduced to the basics in order to work on specific aspects of their play. I may not be a spectacular soccer player, but I do know the game and I do know how to teach. I have found a new project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home