Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Library Project

The idea of reading for pleasure here is practically nonexistent due to the fact that there is little to no access to books. The closest library I’ve been able to find is in Tzaneen which is two taxi rides away. In addition, books are expensive and when you can barely afford to feed your family, buying books is the last desire on a long list of other things needed in your life.

I feel very strongly about the fact that education is the most essential precursor to community development and success. In order to help the communities rise above the constraints that both poverty and the legacy of apartheid have imprinted, there is a need for much personal development. I see hope in the younger generations. The children have all the desire to succeed they simply need to be given more tools in which to further their journey.

It is vital to create a love for learning amongst the youth. Only then will they strive to better themselves through further education. One necessary step in this process is to provide a welcoming place of opportunity and learning. My first step towards this necessary goal is the creation of a library.

At two of my schools thus far I have been allocated rooms to create this goal. My main hindrance is a lack of books. This is where you all come in. I want books, all kinds, from the youngest level to the highest, from fiction, to history, to science, etc. The books don’t need to be new they just need to be books.

My goal is to start this project at the beginning of the next school year (currently it is summer here so school holidays are opposite ours). This means that school reopens for a new year in mid-January. I would love to start creating a library then.

The children at the schools would appreciate and obtain more value from a library that you could ever imagine. If you’re interested then send me your old books or have a book drive. I’m working on getting books in Sepedi over here, but I feel that my best resource for English books is from my friends and family at home.

As far as getting the books to this side of the ocean, I am still working out the logistics. I’m going to talk to my post office here about seeing what I can do to not incur massive fees. I have also heard that shipping books in M-Bags (?) is the most cost efficient for both you and me. As soon as I get an idea of who is interested in this project I will obtain more specific information for them.

Feel free to pass this information on to anyone else who might be interested in getting involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home