Thursday, June 22, 2006

Sello

I stayed up late last night talking with Sello (my older host brother) about various issues effecting the community. I love talking to Sello about things because, besides being well-versed, he also thinks things through and is very upfront. Some of the highlights:

-We discussed how me not dating a black South African was not so much a race issue as a cultural one (I pointed out that I wasn’t dating a white one either). We discussed how I did not conform to the men’s expectation here (I feel they are perfectly capable of washing their own clothes and cooking their own food without their girlfriend having to do it for them). I think Sello firmly agreed that I should not date a man here after I told him men were capable of changing diapers too; something he firmly disagrees with.

-I learned that my house here used to be a bar and Sello spent his teenage years serving alcohol in it.

-We talked about how some of the teachers in the village made us mad by sending their own children to urban schools and then doing a lousy job teaching the village kids.

-We discussed the issue of teenage pregnancy and the two twelve years olds that live near that recently go pregnant.

-We debated the importance of wearing a seat belt- I could not convince Sello that even if though it was uncool it was still important to wear one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home