Thursday, June 22, 2006

Life Skills

I showed up to school on Monday to a somewhat chaotic scene. The teachers were meeting, discussing what to do with the 124 grade 7 students. Apparently, their teachers were away for a workshop and, not surprisingly, no one had planned ahead for their students. Thus the teachers were attempting to come up with a plan for them.

I decided, at this point, to serve my own self interests and volunteered to teach them life skills on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday if someone could translate for me. Thus, I set up an itinerary in which to do activities involving decision making, goal setting, role models, early pregnancy, drug and alcohol use, delaying sex, and self-esteem. I did not set my expectations high and was pleasantly pleased with the results. After some initial hesitancy, I ended up with almost 100% participation throughout the various activities. Most responses were well thought out and the children got very into discussing the goals they wanted to achieve and what routes they planned to take in which to accomplish them. I was also happy with how forward and honest they were with me. For example, we were talking about avoiding situations that may force you into doing things which you might not want to. The exchange went something like this:

“If a boy wants you to go into his bedroom alone with him, or walk alone by the dam, then he wants to have sex with you.”
The girls incredulously shook their heads at this while the boys laughed and confirmed it- very telling.

In addition to everything else, I was able to pinpoint two students, a girl and a boy, who are very gifted. As soon as I realized their talents my immediate goal was to find out if they were going to good high schools next year (aka not in the village). Fortunately, the girl was- she is going to be attending a school in Polokwane and staying at a hostel there. I have a meeting with the principal of Mandela Barloworld High School to see if I can get a placement for the boy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home