Friday, February 16, 2007

Library

Last week I received close to 10,000 rand for the building of library shelves and tables from the grant I wrote for Peace Corp Fellowship money. I was absolutely thrilled at finally being able to proceed with the library. I have put down the deposit for the materials to build the structures needed. All of the construction should be done in two weeks time at which point I’ll be able to move my approximately 1000 books out of boxes and into the room for the library. I’m hoping by this time in March we will have teachers trained on how to use the library and students borrowing books. This is, by far, my biggest project to date and I’m thrilled that it’s going to be a reality, especially as my time here winds down here.

My other large project is building a playground at the other primary school I work with. Peace Corps told me that after my library project was fully funded they would post my playground proposal on to the internet for potential donors. This has yet to happen; it seems there is some confusion in Washington over posting this new grant. I have been in the midst of dialogue with Peace Corp staff and hopefully the grant will be up for donations soon. As soon as I learn that it is up I will place the information here for anyone interested in being involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home