Friday, February 09, 2007

Geography Contest

One of my side projects right now is a geography contest in the sixth grade at one of my schools. Basically, the kids are given a map to study for a week and then given a quiz on the map. For every answer they get right they get a sticker on a chart that is displayed in the classroom. Last week we had a quiz on South Africa and frankly, I was discouraged. Seventy-five percent of the children couldn’t label Limpopo on the map. Limpopo is the province they live in. Can you imagine if you went in an American 6th grade classroom and 75% of the kids couldn’t label their own state? It was ridiculous and a reflection of just how bad teaching methods are out here.

I talked to the teacher about it after and he shrugged his shoulders and told me the kids don’t study. I then explained to him that if the kids didn’t know something he just couldn’t ignore it; he needs to follow-up and teach the lesson in a different way so they can comprehend it. Thus, we’re team-teaching a lesson on South Africa next week. Should be interesting…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home