Friday, November 10, 2006

Khutso

I was reading in my room this weekend (not that I do much else) when I heard Khutso crying outside. His mom had been visiting (for the first time in a few months) so I immediately assumed that Khutso’s emotional outburst coincided with her presence. I was already trying to avoid her at all costs due to the fact that I don’t like her for obvious reasons pertaining to Khutso. I figured that spending any time around her was likely to spoil any semblance of a decent weekend for me. After all, she showed up on Friday, stumbling, reeking of alcohol and invading any impression I had of personal space.

When I walked outside, sure enough, she was yelling at Khutso and beating him with a stick. Given that Khutso is already one of the most timid children I’ve ever seen, I doubt whatever transgression he supposedly had made was deserving of such punishment. Khutso was hysterical and the rest of the family just watched the whole scene. It’s times like these that make me hate my situation here. I desperately wanted to grab the stick from her and hide Khutso in my room but I am living with this family out of the goodness of their hearts and I can hardly risk antagonizing them if I intend to continue residing with them. In addition, I have to watch out for my own safety and making enemies in the village is something I prefer to avoid at all costs.

So, I did nothing. Later I gave Khutso chocolate and got out Memory for him, a game he loves to play. Yet, somehow I don’t think this makes up for the transgression of me not standing up for him earlier. I suppose it’s just one more instance of discouragement that makes me question if I’m making any effective change here. I’m conflicted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home