Friday, October 13, 2006

Thank You

So sometimes, when I’m about to kill the teachers and say screw all of it, something acts to remind me that I’m here for the kids, and they’re the ones I really care about.

Confidence, a grade 7 student who is extremely bright, wrote me the following letter which reminded me why I’m a Peace Corps Volunteer.

Dearest Teacher Cait,

This year is now over and I know you are leaving South Africa (side note: I’m not but she’s leaving the village to go to school in Polokwane so I think she equates this to me leaving) the home or country of passion, love, care, comfort, and ubuntu. I am so afraid I am going to lose a friend as a result. We are all going to lose and miss you. I hope one day fate will smile upon us and we will see each other again. To remind you, latitude is the space which confines the words he and she, we and I.

Remember that we meet to part and part to meet. God be with you till we meet again. Over the years you were not here I had a mountain which was so high for me but now I can see the light shining on me. I don’t know how to thank you for showing me the light.

I highly appreciate it. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Now I am able to climb the mountain because you have made a bridge for me to walk on and climb the mountain. You have given me the chance to see the silks of mine and yours. You have taught me wrong to right. You are an angel sent from God. You listen to other people’ problems and try to solve them. You are a fighter of problems.

You are a needable and brave woman.

From: Confidence

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fighter of problems, a needable and brave woman, and lyrical too. Thank you.

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home