Friday, October 06, 2006

Art and Culture Day





The last week of third term I was lucky enough to experience Art and Culture Day. This display represented various types of traditional aspects of the culture in addition to being entwined with some more “modern” influences. Highlights included a gumboot dance, kwaito and jazz dancing, traditional dancing, a drama about HIV/AIDS (which of course caused everyone to inappropriately laugh when the main character contracted HIV- inappropriate laughing seems to be a common theme in this culture when it comes to rape scenes, HIV/AIDS, or basic violence of any kind, I suppose I just have a different idea of appropriate reactions). Perhaps my favorite part of the program included “miming” which, contrary to my initial expectations, was actually children singing popular songs. I particularly enjoyed the rendition of Enrique Iglesias’s “I Can Be Your Hero.”

In addition to everything else, my teachers decided I got the honor of being their Barbie for the day. Thus, I was herded into the office where I was poked and prodded into a traditional costume which left my principal happily lamenting that I was a “Bolobedu Girl;” a reference which I find to be quite catching. Perhaps I could bring the trend back to the US: “I wish they all could be Bolobedu girls.” I also more or less found myself having a daughter (an absolutely adorable preschooler by the name of Shibu who was contentedly curled up in my lap for the majority of the day). I do appreciate the affection. Overall, a fun day at school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home