Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Things I find amusing and/or ironic

  • As I drive home there is a sign on the side of the road that reads "Anglo-Boer War" with an arrow pointing to the right. I shift my glance to the right fully expecting to see a battle taking place. I am disappointed.
  • There is a news story on TV about a woman who has killed her husband with a frying pan and a fork. Which tool did she use first? I am yet to find a sharp knife in this country which explains the use of a fork.
  • Though there are many water shortages throughout the country the taxis still get washed daily. Today it was raining. The taxis were still being washed.
  • I didn't finish my lunch. I was going to throw away my leftover which wasn't much. Mapula turns to me "But there are children straving in Zimbabwe."
  • At the Wheelbarrow there was a typed history of the place. One of the things talked about it's beginning: "back then we didn't even have an indoor toilet." Haha...aren't you hardcore. Today over half the country doesn't have an indoor toilet.
  • I am still amused ty taxi shopping. I yell from my seat what I want and it magically appears. Today I got scones, roasted corn, and a coke.
  • The TV was missing from my house for awhile while construction was taking place. I know its back now because everyone has migrated from under the tree to the living room.
  • The stores in my village are run by Indian men. The children make fun of how they speak English. I make fun of how they speak English. In turn, they make fun of how I speak English. It's a vicious cycle.
  • As a part of a victime compowerment campaign a charity hangs thousands of pairs of underware to represent rape victims. People steal the underware to wear. I think the campaign backfired.
  • Mapula is attemtping to pull one over on our Mom. She is trying to get her to wait to buy her phone until next month so she can get her to buy her new clothes this month. Mapula is convinced she needs Roxy jeans and Billabong clothes when she goes to university because "all the other girls are wearing them." I asked her if she had any plans to actually learn anything at university or if she just planned to look good. She doesn't think I understand.
  • Me: "Oupa stop drinking and go to school." Oupa: "It's okay. Even the rain queen drank." Me: "And now she is dead."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home